I love carrot cake, and this has always been one of my favorite recipes because of all the flavors and textures in it. If you want to get fancy, you could bake a 9″x 13″ cake and cut it into heart shapes.
Carrot Cake with Pineapple
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: One 9″x 13″ cake OR a two-layer 9″ round cake
3/4 cup milk OR buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
a little under 1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (8-oz) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup raisins (optional)
Cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 9″x 13″ pan or two 9″ round pans.
- Mix together eggs, milk (OR buttermilk), vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix in cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix in flour.
- Stir in shredded carrots using a large wooden spoon.
- Stir in coconut, walnuts, crushed pineapple and juice, and raisins if using.
- Pour batter into cake pan(s). If using a 9″x 13″ pan, bake for 1 hour. If using 9″ round cake pans, bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.