I first made these chocolate chip cookies with a very close friend who loved to cook and bake. It was at his suggestion that we tweaked the recipe until it was exactly the way we wanted it. He has since passed away, but I still think of him every time I bake these cookies. It seems fitting to share our recipe on what would have been his 30th birthday.
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: 72 cookies
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 (3.4- or 4.6-oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix (the exact amount is not important)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in baking soda and salt (if using).
- Beat in as much flour as you can, and stir in the rest.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Edges should be golden brown.