On allrecipes.com, this recipe is called “World’s Best Lasagna,” and I’m inclined to agree. It does take a bit of time to make (I recommend preparing the meat sauce the night before you plan to eat the lasagna), but it’s definitely worth it!
- The exact amounts of the ingredients aren’t that important. Depending on what I find at the grocery store, I usually throw in 1 full pound of beef, 1 entire onion, extra parsley, and 1 full pound of mozzarella cheese.
- If the lasagna ends up being too tall for your baking dish, just put it on a foil-lined cookie sheet to catch the overflow as it bakes.
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: 9″ x 13″ dish of lasagna (about 12 servings)
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6-oz) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5-oz) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves OR 1/2-2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- dash of nutmeg
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Prepare the meat sauce (can be made the day before):
- In a large pot, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Season with sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Assemble the lasagna:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, 2 tablespoons parsley, and a dash of nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
- Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers (I often get confused over the exact order of layers, but it doesn’t really matter as long as everything ends up in the dish).
- Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle parsley over the cheese.
- Cover with foil. To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.