This is one of my family’s favorite cookie recipes. The snickerdoodles are deliciously chewy and cinnamon-y. The original recipe came from a holiday baking collection, but you can and should enjoy them year round!
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Baking
Yield: 48 cookies
For the cookie dough:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
For the coating:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Beat in sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in as much flour as possible with mixer, and stir in the rest by hand.
- Cover and chill dough in refrigerator until easy to handle (at least 1 hr, preferably longer).
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon for coating.
- Form dough into 1.25 inch balls and roll in coating mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown.