Stuffed peppers are good for dinner all year, of course, but around Halloween you can carve them like jack o’ lanterns.
Adapted from All Recipes
Yield: 6 bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 6 bell peppers of any color (pick ones that can stand up straight)
- 2 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, diced OR 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning OR 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano + 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers.
- Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.) If desired, “carve” the peppers to resemble jack o’ lanterns.
- In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, garlic powder, diced onion OR onion powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce if using.
- Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper.
- Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning (or oregano and basil mix) in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
- Bake 1 hour, until the peppers are tender.