My mom discovered this fruitcake recipe in the World Journal a few decades ago and has been using it since. It produces a dense, rich cake perfect for the holidays.
From World Journal
Yield: 9″ x 13″ cake
For the filling mixture:
- 3 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 24 oz fruit cake mix (colorful bits of candied fruit)
- 4 oz chopped walnuts
- ½ cup brandy (or cognac or rum, depending on what you have)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
For the cake:
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup molasses
- ¾ cup apple juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Prepare the filling mixture: Place raisins, dates, fruit cake mix, walnuts, and brandy in a large bowl.
- Mix together well, cover, and store in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 275ºF. Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with aluminum foil and grease it.
- Remove bowl of filling mixture from refrigerator and stir in ½ cup flour. Mix well.
- In a large bowl with the mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, brown sugar, and eggs.
- Beat in molasses and apple juice.
- Beat in salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Beat in flour. The batter will be runny.
- Stir in filling mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 3 hours.