This has long been one of my favorite brownie recipes, what with the rich chocolate flavor of the brownie itself combined with oozing chunks of peppermint patties.
Adapted from Hershey’s
Yield: 36 brownies
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3+1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2-2 cups sugar, depending on how sweet you want them
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups (8-oz package) York Mini Peppermint Patties OR 16-17 small (1 1/2-inch) York Peppermint Patties, chopped into quarters
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 9″ x 13″ OR 9″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Stir together cocoa powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in 1/3 cup butter.
- Add boiling water and stir until mixture thickens.
- Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining 1/3 cup butter.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add flour, vanilla, and salt. Blend completely.
- Stir in peppermint patties.
- Spread batter in pan.
- Bake until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan:
- 35-40 minutes in 9″ x 13″ pan
- 45 minutes in 9″ x 9″ pan
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut brownies into bars.